Wednesday, January 6, 2010

belated week 1


· What is Imagination/Creativity?

Creativity is the creation of new ideas, turning new and imaginative ideas into reality. Creativity involves thinking and then producing. If we have ideas in mind yet not producing or applying it out, then we will be imaginative but not creative. Creative thinkers study and analyze, but they have trained their perception mechanisms to notice things that others miss. Creative thinkers verify and judge, but they expect surprises and avoid judging prematurely.


· How do they relate to design?

Design requires us to have both creativity and imagination. Without these, we are unable to produce new ideas and these ideas will not stand out enough for others to notice. Art and design processes help people develop fresh thinking through aesthetic ways of knowing, imagination, intuition, re-framing and exploring different perspectives.


· Has your conception of creativity changed since coming into SD?

In the course of the common foundation (cf), we have learnt to come out with new ideas and apply them. Such examples are the character making in the brick boy, plushy and several others. In one of the assignments for brick boy, we are to show our character by either making it out using cubes, painting and other creative ways. While designing our own plushy, we not only have to create and make the look of the character we imagine, we also have to create a character for it. No, my concept of creativity have not changed since i enter into SD. However, I feel that through our cf, we are not fully taught or guided into putting these imagination into creativity. With the help of several new and interesting courses, especially Design Creativity and Cognition, I hope to be trained to be more creativity and putting an element of character into our design.

· Do you think you are creative? Why/Not?

I do not think I am as creative as compared to many others. Often a times, I do lack of imagination and ideas in creating my work in cf. I needed guidance from the teachers in order to move to greater heights.

iii) What were the last 3 creative things you did? Describe in some detail, and provide criteria why it was creative. If you have not done anything creative recently, please say more about why that is so.

1. Put my creativity into the designing of shoes. I enjoy drawing on shoes to express my creativity because im able to express freely without any restriction.

i started out designing my first shoe when i was 14 years old. At first i merely wanted to just design a shoe of my own to wear. Slowly, i realize i enjoy designing. So i proceed to designing for my love ones- sister, friends & after that even upsetting up a blogshop with my sister so that we can earn some income from doing something i enjoy during the school holidays. :)



this is my very first design :)


these are the rest done for others.






iv) Do you think Creativity can be taught/and learned? Why/Not?

I believe that God has made each one of us creative but whether we use this skill it’s a different thing. I feel that creativity can be taught and learned to use and apply it. Creativity is a skill that can be developed and a process that can be managed. I feel that learning to be creative is like learning a sport. It requires guidance and practice to develop the right muscles and a supportive environment in which the skill could be flourish. As long as the student is given the opportunity, guidance, training, motivation and practice. These students who feel that they are originally not creative will soon realize that their creativity could go further than they expect.

v) What is your general gameplan for improving your Creativity? Please explain some possible goals and directions you have in mind. How can this class help you specifically.

I hope to change my mentally in starting my work. Often a times, I procrastinate because I do not know how to start. Therefore, it gives me less time to further brainstorm and explore ideas.


Creativity is..

1. Ability to produce something new through imaginative skill

2. generally refers to a richness of ideas and originality of thinking

3. those who have strong interest in apparent disorder, contradiction, and imbalance, which seem to be perceived as challenges

4. possibilities that may be useful in solving problems

5. communicating with others, ideas and values

6. entertaining ourselves and others

7. view things in new ways or from a different perspective

8. more fundamental qualities of thinking, such as flexibility, tolerance of ambiguity or unpredictability, and the enjoyment of things heretofore unknown

9. expressive in ideas

10. "Being creative is seeing the same thing as everybody else but thinking of something different"

No comments:

Post a Comment